Welcome to another month of the Totally Techniques International Design Team Blog Hop!
This month we're showcasing the Die Cut Masking technique - a simple but effective way to create custom masks using your favourite dies. It's a great technique for adding subtle backgrounds, hidden sentiments or unique focal points, and best of all, it gives you another way to use the dies already in your collection.
For my card, I chose a festive Christmas theme featuring the beautiful new Pretty Poinsettia Dies and the Luxe Alphabet & Numbers Hot Foil Dies from Stampin' Up!
Have you got the Stampin' Up! Hot Foil System? -It is great fun. I didn't use hot foil on this card, but it would add an amazing bit of luxury.
Creating the Mask
To create my custom mask, I started by applying a strip of painter's tape to one of the clear plates for my Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine. The low-tack tape works perfectly for this technique, allowing it to be removed easily without damaging the cardstock.
Using the Luxe Alphabet & Numbers Hot Foil Dies, I die cut the letters J, O and Y from the painter's tape. This die set actually contains both hot foil dies but also normal dies so you can use this set without needing to foil making them incredibly versatile.
I carefully positioned the tape letters onto a panel of Granny Apple Green Cardstock, spelling the word JOY. Using a blending brush and Granny Apple Green Ink, I blended ink over the entire panel, concentrating the colour over the masked letters before lightly blending across the rest of the background. This creates a subtle spotlight effect while keeping the overall design clean and fresh.
Once I removed the tape, the crisp letters were revealed, creating the hidden sentiment. To complete the greeting, I stamped the word Christmas in the new Hybrid Black Ink, slightly overlapping the masked word to tie the sentiment together.
Creating the Poinsettia
The stunning poinsettia was die cut from Real Red Cardstock using the Pretty Poinsettia Dies. To add beautiful texture and dimension, I ran the petals back through the Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine using the impression plate before softly ink blending Cherry Cobbler Ink over the raised detail. This simple step really brings the flower to life and adds wonderful depth. I also lightly curled the edges of the petals to give the flower more dimension.
The leaves were die cut from Old Olive Cardstock and lightly blended with Old Olive Ink to enhance the natural veining and create extra dimension.
Once assembled, I adhered the poinsettia to the card front, mounted the panel onto a Real Red Card Base, and finished the flower with a sparkling gem in the centre for just the right amount of festive shimmer.
I love how the bold poinsettia contrasts with the clean, understated masked sentiment. The hidden JOY almost invites you to take a second look, making this a fun technique that adds interest without requiring complicated stamping.
A Handy Tip
One of the things I love most about this technique is that it gives you another way to use your dies. Any die can become a mask - letters, shapes, florals or even intricate decorative dies. Painter's tape is ideal because it's low tack, easy to reposition and removes cleanly, leaving beautifully crisp edges behind.
I hope you've enjoyed seeing this month's technique and that you're inspired to give Die Cut Masking a try on your next project.
Now it's time to continue around the Totally Techniques International Design Team Blog Hop to see the amazing inspiration from the rest of the team. I'm sure you'll discover plenty of creative ideas along the way.
Happy hopping!
Supplies
- Stampin' Up! Pretty Poinsettia Dies
- Stampin' Up! Luxe Alphabet & Numbers Hot Foil Dies
- Stampin' Up! Hybrid Black Ink
- Granny Apple Green Cardstock
- Granny Apple Green Ink
- Real Red Cardstock
- Cherry Cobbler Ink
- Old Olive Cardstock
- Old Olive Ink
- Real Red Cardstock
- Blending Brushes
- Painter's Tape
- Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine

Ooh that's a lovely way to show this technique Mette. Thanks for sharing. Zoe x
ReplyDelete