Hello and welcome to another Totally Techniques International Design Team Blog Hop!
This month we are playing with the Faux Tile Technique, and this was such a fun technique to experiment with. It is a really simple way of adding texture and interest to your stamping, and once I started playing, I ended up trying several different versions!
For my main card, I chose a natural colour combination of Crumb Cake, Basic White and Old Olive, together with the leafy image from the Notes of Collage Stamp Set.
Creating the Faux Tile Background
I started with a Crumb Cake card base and added a layer of Basic White cardstock.
To create the faux tiles, I scored the Basic White cardstock into a grid and then turned it over so that the raised side of the score lines was showing on the front.
I lightly blended Old Olive ink over the panel, this concentrates a little extra colour around the raised score lines and helps define the individual tiles.
The Focal Panel
For the main focal point, I used another square of Basic White cardstock and again scored it into a tile pattern. This time I left the raised score lines facing down.
I stamped the large leafy image from the Notes of Collage Stamp Set over the scored cardstock using Old Olive ink.
Because the score lines prevent the stamp from making contact in those areas, you are left with white lines running through the stamped image – just like the grout between individual printed tiles.
I backed the stamped square with a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock and turned the whole panel on an angle before adding it to the card front.
For a little extra texture, I die cut one of the abstract pieces from the Notes of Collage Dies from Old Olive cardstock and tucked it behind the focal panel.
The Sentiment
The sentiment is from the Fern & Flora Stamp Set and was stamped in Old Olive ink onto Basic White cardstock.
I layered it onto a Crumb Cake label cut using the Fern & Flora Dies and positioned it across the centre of the leafy panel.
There is already plenty of interest from the scored tiles, stamping and die-cut texture, so I decided this card really didn't need any additional embellishments. However, you could always add a bit of twine or some bling.
A Few More Faux Tile Ideas
Of course, once I started playing with this technique, I had to try a few more variations!
I created some additional samples using images from the Notes of Collage, Fern & Flora and Collage Botanicals Stamp Sets, together with Pretty Peacock, Blackberry Bliss and Old Olive inks.
For these samples, I experimented with different sized tile grids as well as different stamped images.
It is amazing how much simply changing the size of the scored squares changes the finished effect. Smaller tiles create more breaks through the stamped image and give you more of a detailed, mosaic-like look, while larger tiles allow more of the stamped image to show and create a cleaner, bolder result.
Changing the stamps and colours gives you yet another look. The rich tones of Pretty Peacock, Blackberry Bliss and Old Olive work beautifully with the botanical and collage-style images in these stamp sets.
And Then I Discovered a Reverse Tile Effect!
While I was experimenting, I discovered another fun way to use the technique.
After stamping one of my images onto the scored Basic White cardstock, I immediately stamped the image again onto a fresh piece of Basic White cardstock, this time without re-inking the stamp.
The second piece of cardstock wasn't scored at all.
Because the ink hadn't transferred where the stamp crossed the raised score lines on the first piece, those lines were still visible when I made the second-generation impression.
But this time they appeared darker.
Instead of the white "grout" lines created by the scored cardstock, the second impression has darker lines running through the leafy image, giving the appearance of another tiled pattern even though the cardstock itself is completely smooth.
I love a happy discovery like this! It also means you can get two completely different effects from the same inking of your stamp.
So Many Possibilities
This is definitely one of those techniques where it is worth cutting yourself a few pieces of cardstock and simply having a play.
Try changing the size of your tiles, the direction of your scoring, your stamped images or your ink colours. You could also experiment with ink blending, different sized grids or second-generation stamping like my reverse tile sample.
One simple technique can produce so many different looks.
Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my projects for this month's hop.
Make sure you continue around the Totally Techniques International Design Team September Blog Hop to see how everyone else has interpreted the Faux Tile Technique. I always love seeing how many completely different ideas can come from the same technique.
Happy stamping!
Mette





No comments:
Post a Comment